Nick Knowles’ new book Proper Healthy Food is full of tasty vegetarian recipes that will please meat lovers too. Here's a few of our favourites
Marmite roast potatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
4 tbsp olive oil
1.5kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 tbsp Marmite
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Pour 3 tablespoons of oil into a large roasting tray and put in the oven to heat up while you’re cooking the potatoes.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 7-8 minutes. Drain them through a colander and toss roughly to fluff up the outside of the potatoes, then allow them to stream dry for a few minutes. Tip the potatoes into the tray with the hot oil, toss gently in the oil and roast for 40 minutes.
3. Turn up the oven temperature to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. In a bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil with the Marmite and gently whisk together with a fork. Pull the cooked potatoes out of the oven and toss with the Marmite mixture, then return to the oven for a final 15-20 minutes until they are crispy.
Braised sausage all-in-one with cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans and cider
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 onion, finely sliced
500g cherry tomatoes
400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 large tbsp Dijon mustard
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
Small bunch of thyme
200ml sweet cider
8 good quality vegan sausages
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
2. This is a really simple one-pot recipe; just combine the onion, cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans, oregano, mustard, garlic, most of the bunch of thyme and the cider in the base of a small roasting tin. Lay the sausages on top of the vegetables, drizzle each with a little oil and cook for 20 minutes or until the sausages are just beginning to brown. Carefully remove the tray from the oven and turn each of the sausages over. Season the upturned side with salt and pepper then return the tin to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the sausages are cooked through.
3. Serve sprinkled with the remaining thyme.