- Kayaking on the River Derwent near Consett
- Set off from this historic Ebchester Boathouse
- Popular local venue for paddle sports
- A 1.5hr session for groups of up to six paddlers
Our kayaking in Newcastle offers perfect, gently flowing waters for beginners to learn this fun paddle-sport in. If you're OK with water and up for a bit of physical activity, get ready to literally put your oar in!
We must mention where you'll be for your first foray into kayaking. The meeting point is Ebchester Boathouse on the River Derwent, just outside Consett in County Durham. If you're not local to the village, you might not know that this little spot near Newcastle was once a thriving place for boat racing. In fact, there's been a boathouse on this site since 1876 and there's even a local association that looks after the building and encourages all walks of life to loll about on the river and enjoy the surroundings.
It really is an idyllic setting. Right in front of you is a fast-flowing rocky weir, but you will be launching your kayak well away from this impressive sight on the calmer waters. As the name might suggest, the River Derwent starts at the Derwent Reservoir in the Pennines, before weaving it's way through Northumberland and joining the Tyne near Newcastle. You won't be tackling anything like the full course of the river (it is very long after all!) but you all get to see a fair bit of the local area.
The instructors at the centre will start the session assuming that you have never kayaked before and are therefore complete beginners. That way your onshore briefing will include teaching you the basics of which position to adopt in your craft (this centre uses solo kayaks) and how to use the paddle to propel yourself forward, left, right and even backwards to navigate your way.
Of course, many years ago these flowing waters were used by mills that lined the banks of rivers all over the Newcastle area. None of that remains today, but now it's kayakers and canoeists who get to enjoy the river surrounded by a mix of countryside and urbanisation along its banks.
We can't think of a better place to learn kayaking in the Newcastle area, with a delightful launching area that's much loved by the local Ebchester community offering easy access to all the twisting and turning that the River Derwent boasts. And with all the gear and tuition you need included, it's time to transform yourself from a beginner paddler into a very competent one!
What's included in this experience?
- A 90 minute beginners kayaking experience
- Welcome introduction and safety briefing with a fully trained instructor
- Get to grips on the basics of kayaking
- Kit and equipment is provided
- You will be in a group of up to 6 people
- A minimum booking of 2 participants is required
Who is the experience suitable for?A
• Minimum age 12
• Under 16s must be accompanied on site by an adult
• Maximum weight 16 stone (approx 101kg)
• Participants must be physically fit and confident in the water
• Any participants with a medical condition must seek medical advice before taking part
When can I do this?A
• Available on selected dates from April to September, subject to availability
• This experience is weather dependent
Where can I do this?A
River Derwent, Ebchester
What additional information is there?A
Wet suits, helmets and buoyancy aids are provided
What about insurance?A
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.