- Perfect for children aged 4 – 12
- Includes a one-hour riding lesson
- BBQ lunch is provided for riders
- Try your hand at horseshoe throwing and lassoing
- A Cowkid certificate for each young rider at the end of the experience
- £40 per child
Take the kids on a junior cowboy experience at this Wild West ranch in the New Forest. After spending some time getting to know the ponies, grooming and tacking them up, youngsters will leap up onto their trusty steeds and prepare for that exhilarating first riding lesson.
Children will spend an hour riding in a special training arena practicing the basics that every good cowboy or cowgirl has to learn. Would be 'Cowkids' will find their new friends are good-natured, easy to ride and used to showing young ranch riders how things are done Western-style. The fun continues on two legs as the group then gets the chance to try their hand at horseshoe throwing and lassoing some bullhorns with an authentic cowboy rope – a great skill to show friends back at school.
All that riding and fresh air can make a ranch-hand hungry – so the kids will be provided with a BBQ (with vegetarian option) while they chat about what they've done on their cowboy adventure.
This is a perfect activity for youngsters who have never even been on a horse before – everything is done at walking pace until all riders can control their horses at a trot. The instructors know exactly how to help beginners on their way and build up their confidence on the horses – safety always comes first and there’s no pressure on the young riders to try anything they don’t feel ready for.
Families are welcome to watch and the cowboy adventure can be combined with a day out in the New Foresty, with the attractions of Lymington, Beaulieu and Buckler’s Hard all nearby.
- Allow spending two hours on site
- You'll spend approximately 90 minutes with the ponies to include a one-hour riding lesson
- Tea, coffee, soft drinks and a BBQ lunch are provided for riders (vegetarian options are available)
- All equipment is provided, including safety hats and stetsons
- There are a variety of ponies on site available to suit all ages
- There may be up to six trainees taking part on the day
- A Cowkid certificate is provided at the end of the experience
Who is the experience suitable for?A
• Minimum age: 4 years
• Maximum age: 12
• Maximum weight: 14 stone
• Riders must wear long trousers and shoulders must be covered
• Shoes or boots with a small heel must be worn. Flat-soled shoes or trainers are not suitable
• Maximum group size: 6
• Vegetarian meals can be supplied on request
• This experience may not be suitable for some medical conditions or disabilities. If in doubt please ask before booking
When can I do this?A
• Cowboy adventures operate on most weekends and other selected days between February and November
• Events can be held indoors so are not affected by poor weather
• The centre is closed on Mondays and Bank Holidays
Where can I do this?A
The riding school is located near New Milton on the southern edge of the New Forest.
Can I bring spectators?A
• Mums, dads and family members are welcome to come and watch
• Adult lessons can often be booked on the day
• The riding centre can recommend accommodation nearby
How does this work?A
All you have to do is pay for the experience and we’ll send a voucher through the post, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
What about insurance?A
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.