- Perfect for railway buffs
- Roam around the platform, workshops and museums
- A delicious onboard lunch
- From Great Central Station in Loughborough
- £80.10 for two people
All aboard the South Yorkshireman for a superb steam-train lunch in Leicestershire, as the beautifully restored carriages transport you back to the truly golden age of steam.
As you roll gently out of Loughborough, you can sit back in your seat, watch the plumes of steam billowing from the train's locomotive and enjoy views of the unspoilt countryside as your four-course meal is served at your table. There's a choice of main dishes in a classic British cuisine style, plus vegetarian options, all cooked onboard.
Midway through your journey, the train will glide to a halt at one of the loveliest spots in the area – the viaduct that spans the Swithland Reservoir. You'll probably spot wildfowl enjoying the tranquility of the water – it's a lovely way to spend a Saturday lunchtime.
Once you arrive at the end of the line in Leicester North, there's time for a refreshing walk, before hopping back onboard for your return journey with coffee and mints.
You'll also receive a first class 'runabout' ticket giving you unlimited travel for the day of your experience.
- Every luncheon guest receives a 'runabout ticket' for the day allowing you on as a passenger on any train and you are free to roam around the platform, workshops and museums
- Your table on the steam train luncheon departure is reserved for you
- The journey takes around 1.5 hours
Who is the experience suitable for?A
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult
When can I do this?A
• The South Yorkshireman Luncheon train runs on most Saturday lunchtimes from January through to November.
• Departures are at 13.15, returning at 14.45
• On booking, the operator may ask for you to make your choices in advance.
• We also offer an overnight Railway Break experience at this location, details can be found in our Unusual Breaks section.
Where can I do this?A
• The trains depart from the Great Central Station in Loughborough then head south (at a sedate speed to avoid spilling the soup!) for around 4 miles where the train pauses to take in the beautiful views from the Swithland viaduct, near Rothley
• The train follows the same route North back to Great Central Station
• The Central station has good access from the M1 (J23) and A6
How long should I allow for this experience?A
The journey takes around 1.5 hours.
What's on the menu?A
The South Yorkshireman
Soup of the Day
Corn-fed Chicken Supreme wrapped in smoked bacon
served with leek and white wine sauce
Roast loin of Pork
served with apple sauce and rich gravy
Butternut Squash half filled with Canellini Beans, Mozarella Cheese, Peppers & Tomatoes
topped with pumpkin & sunflower seed crumb
Caramelised red onion and goat's cheese filo tart
served with Mediterranean compote
Served with chef's selection of vegetables
Caramel brownie flapjack tower
served with orange segments and a sabayon sauce
Coffee and Chocolate Mints
How does this work?A
All you have to do is pay for the experience and we’ll send a voucher through the post, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
What about insurance?A
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.