- Perfect for vintage-aircraft enthusiasts
- Sit in the cockpit of a fully airworthy Spitfire
- Meet the hangar team, ask questions and take photos
- £62.10 per person
More about the day
Your chance to 'Sit in a Spit' at the ex-RAF base at Biggin Hill, a real must for classic aviation fans.
In addition, you'll also get the chance to get up close to other vintage aircraft on a tour of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar.
As well as looking after four flying Spitfires and a Hurricane MkI AE977, the Biggin Hill team also undertakes restoration work, with two Spitfire airframes currently sitting in the hangar being returned to their former glory. You'll get privileged access to see the works going on, and have plenty of time to ask questions of the technicians and take pictures.
However, the highlight of this experience has to be the moment you will realise your dream of sitting in the cockpit of the Mk9 Supermarine Spitfire TA805. This plane is well known above the skies of Kent and beyond, as it often participates in air displays – it's a real thrill for any aircraft fan to be able to experience what it's really like in the hot seat of a Spitfire.
- Sit in the cockpit of a fully functioning and airworthy Mk9 Spitfire
- Access to the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, usually closed to the public
- See 'flying spec' Spitfires plus vintage Harvard and Cub aircraft up close and observe current Spitfire projects undergoing restoration
- Heritage Hangar staff and/or historian on hand to answer questions
- Opportunity for photography of all aircraft
Who is the experience suitable for?A
• The experience is suitable for all ages however under 18's must be accompanied by a paying adult
• You need to be agile enough to climb up into the Spitfire cockpit
• Staff will be on hand at all times to assist guests in and out of the aircraft
• At no point do you fly in or with the Spitfire
• Leather soled shoes are not suitable as they may slip on the wing, trainers or rubber soled shoes are ideal
When can I do this?A
• Events run on selected Saturdays, usually once a month from April to September
• Sessions usually run from 10.30am - 2.30pm
• Spaces are limited so please book in advance
• The availability of specific aircraft cannot guaranteed however there will always be at least one Mk9 Spitfire
• The aircraft do not fly at these events
Where can I do this?A
Biggin Hill Airport, Kent. Please see Map.
How does this work?A
All you have to do is pay for the experience and we’ll send a voucher through the post, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
What about insurance?A
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.