Find out what’s going on in the literary world with latest releases, members suggestions, monthly book reviews, a literary festival calendar and competitions.
Dedicating time to attend a book group can be difficult – The Reading Room is an online book club that gives book-lovers the freedom to stop by and join in discussions in your free time.
The Reading Room is available to join on Facebook, where you can escape to find detailed book reviews, suggestions, meet new people and even take part in monthly competitions.
- Stop by and join discussions with fellow members
- Read book reviews
- Take part in monthly competitions
Each month members have the opportunity to vote for the next book of the month take a look at the previous months for a short synopsis, information about the author and member reviews....
March Book of the Month
March Book of the Month Winners of ‘The German Girl By Armando Lucas Correa!'
Congratulations to the 5 lucky Reading Room members who have won a copy of ‘The German Girl’ the lucky winners are:
Nicky Davies, Heather Darwent, C Bowden, Christa Llyod and Sharon Mary Whitehead.
Date for Discussion of this book is Friday 31 March.
Take a look at the monthly book synopsis and learn about the author. Does one of these books take your fancy, we would love to here your thoughts.....
Before everything changed, Hannah Rosenthal lived a charmed life. But now the streets of Berlin are draped in swastikas and Hannah is no longer welcome in the places she once considered home. A glimmer of hope appears in the shape of the St Louis, a transatlantic liner that promises Jews safe passage to Cuba. The Rosenthals sell everything they have to fund visas and tickets. At first the liner feels like luxury, but as they travel the circumstances of war change, and it soon becomes their prison..
After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.
She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so covert it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning.Now, she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon. When her former handler offers her a way out...
December 2016 - Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
November 2016 - The Lie by Helen Dunmore
October 2016 - Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson's
September 2016 - After You by Jojo Moyes
July 2016 - And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
June 2016 - Coffin Road by Peter May
May 2016 - Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
April 2016 - At The Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier
March 2016 - The Girl in the Red Coat byKate Hamer
February 2016 - The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies
January 2016 - The Book Theif by Markus Zusak
December 2015 - The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
November 2015 - According to Yes by Dawn French
October 2015 - The Hundred Year Old Man... by Jonas Jonasson
September 2015 - The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
August 2015 - The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
July 2015 - A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
June 2015 - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
April/May - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Jan/Feb - The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
A great way to decide whether you like the sound of a book, check out our member reviews!
Book of the Month Reviews
May - Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
April - At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier
- This book received a great response in the poll. What did our members think of it? Fred Harman let's us know....
March - The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer
- Selected as the poll winner for March this book has received great reviews. Reading room members Carole Baker, Alex Rosel and Michael Bond give us their thoughts...
February - The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies
- February's book was a popular choice, read our first review from Alan Kingswell who couldn't put it down and read in just over 24 hours! A great selection of reviews this month read reviews from our lucky giveaway winners Alex Rosel, Sarah Bown and Daphne Sarson.
- Overall this book was well received with an average of 4 stars. Find out what our members Fred Harman, Robert Dinsmore and Sarah Thorogood thought and read reviews here »
December 15 - The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- Our December book read by our members over the festive season generated quite a bit of discussion on Facebook but only one review here. See what Reading Room member John Lipinski made of this tale.
November 15 - According to Yes by Dawn French - The first of our reviews are in and it's a mixed bag so far.
- Take a look at our members reviews and don't forget to join us on Facebook to join in the discussion.
October 15 - The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- Joyce Nelson gives us her run down on this intriging book.
September 15 - The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
- All good reviews to date, take a look and see what our winners Julie Evenden and Heather Darwent make of Septembers Book of the Month
- Opinions are mixed on our August book of the month read our members reviews»
- Read our member reviews along with an in depth review from Reading Room member Nicky Davies who enjoyed reading it so much she rated it 5/5. Read 'A God in Ruins' reviews here »
June 15 - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- A popular choice this appears to have been a good choice with positive feedback. Rose Gladdish gives her views»
- Discussion on Facebook were conflicted. Please let us have your thoughts, send us your review.
April 15 - We are all Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
- Mixed feelings from members for this Book of the Month
March 15 - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
- We asked members to sum up their experience of the book in 'Less than 10 words', here's what they had to say, or check out the review from Reading Room member Rose Gladdish and see what she makes of this book.
January/February 15 - The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- For an insight into members opinions on this book read our member reviews. Reviews received from Sharon Walsh, Rose Gladdish, Jackie Hannaford, Pete Tully and Rhona Morris.
Thank you to all members for taking the time to let us know your views.
General Book Reviews
General Reviews submitted by way of recommendation:-
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - reviewed by Vivian Melder
Godfreys Ghost, From Father to Son by Nicola Ridley - reviewed by Moira Grant
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin - reviewed by Pauline Medhurst
Only When I Laugh (Autobiography) by Paul Merton - reviewed by Tony Corbin
Red Notice by Bill Browder - reviewed by Fred Harman
The Collaborator by Gerald Seymour - reviewed by Fred Harman
The Gods of Guilt - reviewed by Fred Harman
The Last Secret of the Temple - reviewed by Fred Harman
Any of our members can become a reviewer or simply contribute to the discussions on Facebook.
To review a book simply submit a review form to email@example.com or complete a form online here» . A review form can act as an aid to really make you think about specific elements of a book and how they have been interpreted by the author.