What you need from Monday to Friday are fast, fabulous crowd pleasers – clean plates guaranteed!
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ small bunch flatleaf parsley
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 2 salad onions, trimmed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 3 tbsp tahini
- Juice 1 lemon
- Flour tortillas or flatbreads, shredded lettuce, sliced radish and plain yogurt, to serve
- Put the chickpeas, garlic, parsley, spices and onion in a food processor and whiz to a paste. Transfer to a bowl and add the eggs and flour, season with salt and pepper and mix well to form a stiff mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the falafel mixture into small patties and shallow-fry in olive oil for 2 – 3 minutes on each side until starting to turn crisp, then transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 10 mins.
- Whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil with the tahini and lemon juice. Warm the tortillas and fill with the falafels, lettuce, radish and drizzle over the tahini dressing and yogurt.
Feta and Potato Frittata
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking: 50 mins
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 450g Jersey Royal or Charlotte potatoes, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 250g young spinach leaves, washed
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
6 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Heat a 25cm wide, non-stick frying pan and add 3 tbsp oil. Add the potatoes and fry gently for 10 mins until half cooked. Add the onion and fry for a further 15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, briefly blanch the spinach in a large pan of boiling water then drain and cool – squeeze dry and roughly chop.
- When the potato mixture is just cooked mix in the spinach. Season the eggs and pour into the frying pan – add both the cheeses and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is just set.
- Cover the pan with a large plate and invert the omelette, then slide the omelette back into the pan so that you cook the reverse side for a further 5 – 8 mins until cooked through. Leave until cold.
- Serve with a cherry tomato salad and crusty bread.
Ham & Tomato Pasta Bake
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 35 mins
- 350g rigatoni pasta
- 350ml passata
- 75g sun-dried tomato pesto
- 125ml double cream
- 200g cooked sliced ham, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh basil leaves, torn roughly
- 125g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook the rigatoni in boiling water for 10 – 12 mins until just cooked, then drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine the passata, pesto and cream and cook on a gentle heat for 5 – 8 mins until thick – season well.
- Preheat the oven to 190c/Gas 5.
- Mix the pasta with the tomato mixture, ham and basil, season and spoon into an ovenproof dish, then top with the mozzarella and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.